Re: [ 100058 ] 1.4 - $buildir-path may not contain "~"

From: Gary V . Vaughan
Subject: Re: [ 100058 ] 1.4 - $buildir-path may not contain "~"
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 15:22:19 +0100

Your analysis is correct.  Unfortunately, libtool needs to execute multi-line
commands which may contain for loops or if statements, and so setting IFS to
';' breaks.  Conceivably we could teach libtool more about parsing shell
code, but it is already far too slow for that to be a practical solution.

We chose '~' as the magic character because most shell users associate it
with home directory substitution and emacs backup files and don't use it in
the path to a project source file.  Choosing another character is a feasible
solution, though you have to bear in mind that the libtool source code goes
through m4, sed and bourne shell, as well as having an autoconf pass to
subsitute configure time vars, so the quoting is hairy and sensitive to
change.  Meta characters to sed, m4, autoconf or any shell that might execute
libtool are all bad choices.

Perhaps the problem will go away when we have a binary ltmain in a couple of
releases?

In the mean while, I think the only workaround is to not use '~' in pathnames.

Cheers,
        Gary.