Re: MLB merge is done! Hurray! -- Fooey ;-)

From: Gary V . Vaughan
Subject: Re: MLB merge is done! Hurray! -- Fooey ;-)
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 20:12:06 +0100

On Sunday 24 June 2001  7:24 pm, Bruce Korb wrote:
> "Gary V. Vaughan" wrote:
> > Hello Libtoolers!
>
> Hello again.  I guess that means I have some work to do, too :-)
>
> Thanks Gary.  :-)
>
> > Anyway, I would like to declare MLB officially dead, and reopen HEAD for
> > development.  I would enormously appreciate any help with draining the
> > patch queue (i.e. unapplied patches from the list) so that I can make a
> > 1.4b alpha release in the near future.
>
> What should my sync target be?  Current head, or 1.4b?

I'm not sure I follow... HEAD will gradually transform into 1.4b as the patch
queue is drained.  In general ltmain.sh tends to change very slowly (except
when major features are added) so once you are in sync, staying that way
ought to be a cinch.

In theory, I'd like to make a 1.4b release with all pending patches evaluated
before the end of July, 1.4d about a month later and 1.5 soon after that.  I
think a good point to merge your binatu branch would be immediately after the
1.5 release.  In parallel, I'll make an end of month point release from 1.4
branch as long as it is has had patches applied since the last.

> By the way, I have messages from a few of my "customers"
> complaining of various config problems due to out of date
> auto* tools.  Now I confess, by platform _is_ four or
> five months old, but just how current should it all be anyway?
> *sigh*

Although 1.4 is only a few months newer than 1.3.5, 1.4 represents 2 years of
development, whereas 1.3.5 is no more than a bunch of bug fixes to the
venerable 1.3 release (which is more than 2 years old).  You should certainly
be using libtool-1.4 and automake-1.4-p4, and either autoconf-2.13 or if you
don't mind investing a little effort, you might like to try autoconf-2.50.

Don't forget that whenever you make a new release of any autoconfigured
package, it is really important to upgrade your config.sub and config.guess
from ftp.gnu.org/gnu/config, since this is where the recognition for new
platforms comes from.  The config.{sub,guess} bundled in automake and libtool
are only as new as their own releases and consequently get out of date pretty
fast.

> Cheers and congrats,
>       Bruce

Danke Schon.  Now, to get on top of all the cygwin patches Rob Collins has
generated :-/  I might even put out the new release of snprintfv I have been
working on for the last year or so... pending some outstyanding patches to
libltdl.

Cheers,
        Gary.
--