Re: libtool: not configured to build any kind of library

From: Gary V . Vaughan
Subject: Re: libtool: not configured to build any kind of library
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 23:15:53 +0100

On Thursday 05 July 2001 10:14 pm, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 July 2001 11:30 am, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> > On Jun 27, 2001, address@hidden wrote:
> > > Libtool builds only shared or static libraries. If you tell it to do
> > > neither, how is it going to work?
> >
> > It used to default to static-libraries only, in this case.  I guess it
> > was broken during the merge :-(
>
> ltmain.in has carried the code to display this error message ever since CVS
> revision 1.1 (search this page for `not configured'):
>
> https://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/libtool/libtool/ltmain.in?rev=1.1&;
>content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
>
> I have no strong feelings regarding which is better, and will accept a
> patch to change to the behaviour Alexandre describes.

On second thoughts (and after examining release 1.3.5), it seems important to
fall back on static lib building when libtool discovers that it cannot build
shared libs.  Even when static libs were explicitly disabled.

I guess I failed to port this correctly when I first merged ltconfig.in into
libtool.m4 last year, so I have added the appropriate code back in on
branch-1-4 and HEAD.

Cheers,
        Gary.
--