problems with libtool HEAD under cygwin32

From: Kevin B . Hendricks
Subject: problems with libtool HEAD under cygwin32
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 11:15:17 -0400

Hi,

I seem to have run into a problem using libtool from HEAD under cygwin32.

The sourceforge project Pspell is a front end to various spellcheckers.  It's
author uses the libtool HEAD because of its multi-language support
(previously in a branch).

Unfortunately, under cygwin32, when trying to build libltdl (also used by
Pspell) the make barfs with a cryptic error about symbol $ missing.

One of our volunteers who has access to the cygwin32 environment, tracked
this down to a snippet of code from the libtool script (see below).  Once he
manually removed this from the generated libtool script, he was able to
complete a shared library build of libltdl which then allowed the remainder
of the Pspell build to continue.

Can you provide any insight into what is going wrong with this snippet when
used to build your own libltdl code?  Is something simply out of sync or is
this a bug that exists only under cygwin32?

Any guidance or insights here would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Kevin B. Hendricks
address@hidden
for OpenOffice Org

ps. I have attached his e-mail so that you can see the snippet of code in
question.  If there is not enough info here to recreate this yourself under
cygwin32, please let me know and I can contact Scott and ask for some
specifics, but since it was using your libtool to build your libltdl I
thought you might already be aware of the issue.

Here is that e-mail:

-----

From: k.scott carr <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

Here is the code that I am removing from the libtool script.

if test \\\"x\\\`head -1 \$export_symbols\\\`\\\" = xEXPORTS; then
        cp \$export_symbols \$output_objdir/\$soname-def;
      else
        echo EXPORTS > \$output_objdir/\$soname-def;
        _lt_hint=1;
        cat \$export_symbols | while read symbol; do
         set dummy \\\$symbol;
         case \\\\[\$]# in
\$output_objdir/\$soname-def;;
\$output_objdir/\$soname-def;;
         esac;
         _lt_hint=\\\`expr 1 + \\\$_lt_hint\\\`;
        done;
      fi~

After I remove this from the archive_expsym_cmds the
program appears to build correctly.