Re: libtool-1.4b bootstrap nit

From: Gary V . Vaughan
Subject: Re: libtool-1.4b bootstrap nit
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 02:44:53 +0100

On Wednesday 11 July 2001  1:17 am, Tim Mooney wrote:
> In regard to: [Announce] libtool-1.4b, Gary V. Vaughan said (at 12:17am
on...:
> >The most important user-visible changes since release 1.4 follow:
> >
> >New in 1.4b: 2001-07-09
> >* Now bootstraps with autoconf-2.50 and automake-1.4-p4.
>
> If I grab the tarball from alpha.gnu.org and untar it and then
>
>       ./bootstrap

No need to bootstrap it yourself unless you fetch from CVS.  The tarballs we
release are all pre-bootstrapped with a suitable version of autoconf and
automake.

>       ./configure
>       gmake

Don't forget that the make process is recursive, so you also need to `export
MAKE=gmake' for the submakes to be called correctly.

> it starts out by doing a recheck:
>
>       /bin/ksh ./config.status --recheck

Perhaps there is a broken macro in autoconf or libtool with respect to ksh?
Can you retry with bash as the CONFIG_SHELL and see if that works?

> which runs:
>
> running /bin/ksh ./configure  --prefix=/local/gnu --exec-prefix=/local/gnu
> --enable-ltdl-install  --no-create --no-recursion

Since we eliminated ltconfig before libtool-1.4, the reconfigure is normal
after running the bootstrap script, since bootstrapping libtool requires two
passes through configure, the first generates the Makefile (which can then
make ltmain.sh from ltmain.in), and the second makes the libtool script from
ltmain.sh.

> and I eventually see:
>
> configure: creating libtool
> appending configuration tag "CXX" to libtool
> checking whether the cxx linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries...
> yes ./configure[7903]: syntax error at line 1 : `COPYING' unexpected
>
> then, when it dives into libltdl, it does a recheck, and I eventually see:
>
> configure: creating libtool
> appending configuration tag "CXX" to libtool
> checking whether the cxx linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries...
> yes ./configure[8082]: syntax error at line 1 : `Makefile' unexpected

Alphabetically, COPYING and Makefile are exactly the second files in their
respective directories, which makes me think that the quoting in the new tags
code is not robust to the version of ksh you are running... or possibly the
version of /bin/sh configure re-execs itself with.  If you can prove this
somehow, we might be able to beat out a workaround for the next release.

> I'm using autoconf 2.50 and automake 1.4-p4.  Are the syntax errors from
> configure something peculiar about my environment, or do other people see
> them too?

Presuming that none of my suggestions above is the cause, it looks as though
you have misinstalled one of the autotools...

This is what I get:

  $ wget ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/libtool/libtool-1.4b.tar.gz
  $ tar zxf libtool-1.4b
  $ cd libtool-1.4b
  $ ./configure --version
  libtool configure 1.4b
  generated by GNU Autoconf 2.50a

  Copyright 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001
  Free Software Foundation, Inc.
  This configure script is free software; the Free Software Foundation
  gives unlimited permission to copy, distribute and modify it.
  $ ./configure
  $ make
  $ make check
  ===================
  All 96 tests passed
  ===================

And just to double check (note that the `a' suffix on the version numbers is
because I have slightly newer than release versions built from CVS -- I hope
that small difference isn't why you have errors though):

  $ autoconf --version
  autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.50a
  Written by David J. MacKenzie.

  Copyright 1992, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001
  Free Software Foundation, Inc.
  $ automake --version
  automake (GNU automake) 1.4-p4a

  Copyright (C) 1999, 2001 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

  Written by Tom Tromey <address@hidden>
  $  ksh -c 'echo $KSH_VERSION'
  @(#)PD KSH v5.2.14 99/07/13.2
  $ ksh ./bootstrap
  autoheader: config-h.in is unchanged
  $ CONFIG_SHELL=/usr/bin/ksh SHELL=/usr/bin/ksh ksh ./configure
  configure: creating ./config.status
  config.status: creating Makefile
  config.status: creating config.h
  config.status: config.h is unchanged
  $ SHELL=/usr/bin/ksh make clean && make && make check
  All 96 tests passed

HTH,
        Gary.
--