Re: question about AC_LTDL_SYS_DLOPEN_DEPLIBS

From: Gary V . Vaughan
Subject: Re: question about AC_LTDL_SYS_DLOPEN_DEPLIBS
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 21:40:17 +0100

On Monday 16 July 2001  8:21 pm, Tim Mooney wrote:
> In regard to: Re: question about AC_LTDL_SYS_DLOPEN_DEPLIBS,...:
> >And if libltdl_cv_sys_dlopen_deplibs=yes is true for a platform but
> >the platform loader does not honor RPATH in shared libraries and a
> >shared library being dlopen'ed has a dependency on another library
> >whose path is not in the application RPATH, should
> >libltdl_cv_sys_dlopen_deplibs still be "yes" for this platform?
>
> I actually followed that.  :-)
>
> My vote would be "yes", but there should probably be a separate
>
>       libltdl_cv_sys_dlopen_honors_rpath
>
> or maybe
>
>       libltdl_cv_sys_dlopen_honours_rpath
>
> for Gary et. al.  ;-)  Maybe `respects' or `obeys' or `uses' would be
> better than honors/honours.

A saucer of milk for you sir? ;-)

> Both of these things could be tested using variants of Robert's test code,
> updated a little for use with ltdl.

There is no need for a distinction as far as the existing code in libltdl is
concerned.  We cannot determine in advance for a particular library whether a
deplib will be loaded due to the rpath, or through other means.  If libltdl
can rely on the system to load deplibs consistently it is safe to turn off
the manual loading code.  If it might fail (even if only in the situation
Albert describes) then libltdl will need to perform its own deplib loading
just incase.

> An earlier question I asked still remains, though:  what about platforms
> that have a different API for dynamic loading, e.g. HP-UX < 11.x?  Does
> this cache value (or these cache values) apply there as well, even though
> the system uses shl_load instead of dlopen()?

I didn't see that, sorry.  The deplib loading code in libltdl is above the
system API layer, so the applicability of the variable setting is not related
to whether a particular system API is in use or not.

Cheers,
        Gary.
--
  ())_. Gary V. Vaughan     gary@(oranda.demon.co.uk|gnu.org)