Re: question about AC_LTDL_SYS_DLOPEN_DEPLIBS

From: libtool
Subject: Re: question about AC_LTDL_SYS_DLOPEN_DEPLIBS
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 11:57:58 -0500

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 11:36:11AM -0500, Robert Boehne wrote:
> address@hidden wrote:

> > > If we use the test *instead* of looking at the host we would miss the
> > > case for Tru64 4-5.1, which passes the test but doesn't search the
> > > library RPATH, but perhaps we could limit it to that case only.
> >
> > Then how about augmenting the patch to catch this case? This is
> > actually important for people how have Tru64 UNIX with patch kit < #2
> > where such an augmented test would fail and patch kit >= #2 where the
> > augmented test should succeed.
> >
> > --
> > albert chin (address@hidden)
>
> That's a great idea, if we don't want to set dlopen_deplibs to "yes"
> in that case anyway that is what we should test for.
> I'm having some trouble creating this test case though, how can
> I use ltdl in a program that is used to create libtool?

Just so I'm on the same page, this is to autodetect
$libltdl_cv_sys_dlopen_deplibs correct? If so, why do you want to use
ltdl at all? Isn't it enough to write the following test programs
during the run of ltdl.m4:
  ('t1') dlopen test program 't2'
  ('t2') dlopen'ed by 't1' and depends on library 't3'
  ('t3') library depending on 't4'
  ('t4') dummy library
and then run t1. If you fail, libltdl_cv_sys_dlopen_deplibs=unknown.
If you succeed, libltdl_cv_sys_dlopen_deplibs=yes.

The purpose of 't2' is to detect if dlopen loads dependency libraries
and the purpose of 't3' is to detect if dlopen honours RPATH in a
library.

BTW, this probably isn't so trivial because you'd need to embed the
runtime path into programs 't2' and 't3'. You definitely don't want to
set LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Can you use the generated libtool program during
ltdl.m4?

--
albert chin (address@hidden)