Problems with referencing static libs from shared libs

From: Ralf Habacker
Subject: Problems with referencing static libs from shared libs
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 11:10:31 +0200

Hi,
for porting kde2 to cygwin I'm using the ld with the auto-import option by
Paul Sokolovsky and a patched libtool from Robert Collins to create dlls
without any header decoration.
One dll in kdelibs is currently to big for compiling as dll (ld crashes), so
I need to link it as static lib.
With the libtool depdemo I have added a "libl1_la_LDFLAGS = -static" to the
l1/Makefile.am, which works fine.
But I'm wondering that while compiling the other libs libtool unpacks this
static lib and add each object code. For small libs this might be okay, but
for kde with one static lib of 70 MB (with debugging symbols) this causes
very huge link times.
My question is how could I change this behavior to that this lib is added as
usual depenceny lib like ... -ll1
.
------
Making all in l2
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/Habacker/src/libtool/depdemo/l2'
/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link gcc  -g -O2  -o libl2.la -rpath
/usr/local/lib  l2.lo ../l1/libl1.la
rm -fr  .libs/libl2.a .libs/libl2.dll.a .libs/libl2.la .libs/libl2.lai
rm -fr .libs/libl2.lax
mkdir .libs/libl2.lax
rm -fr .libs/libl2.lax/libl1.a
mkdir .libs/libl2.lax/libl1.a
(cd .libs/libl2.lax/libl1.a && ar x
/home/Habacker/src/libtool/depdemo/l2/../l1/.libs/libl1.a)

regards

Ralf Habacker