1.4b - linker selection

From: Borsenkow Andrej
Subject: 1.4b - linker selection
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 11:29:30 +0400

libtool seems to unconditionally default to ld as linker. Unfortunately, in
my case (ReliantUNIX with native compiler) this is almost completely wrong.

In case of C it "mostly works" but there were known issue with debugging.
Building shared library with cc adds important startup files that are
missing if you build using just ld.

In case of C++ it breaks completely. I've just seen "bug report" that C++
shared library did not execute constructors when it should - it turned out
the same issue, missing startup files.

In my experience, building shared library with compiler is much more likely
to succeed. Recently we on zsh list had a report from BSD folks that module

Is defaulting to naked ld for building shared library intentional? Note,
that IIRC exactly for ReliantUNIX (SINIX) some earlier version of libtool
forced $(CC) as linker so it may be considered regression problem.

regards

-andrej

P.S. it also seems to find wrong wl option, -LD. Official one is -Wl,, -LD
is deperecated and threatened to be removed in the future (frankly speaking,
unlikely :-) But it minor issue easy to amend.