Misleading error messages in libltdl

From: Thomas Fitzsimmons
Subject: Misleading error messages in libltdl
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 18:48:53 -0400

I am writing an x86 component for the sid simulator framework
(sources.redhat.com/sid). Components in sid are implemented as libtool
libraries that are loaded with the lt_dlopen function. I didn't know it at
the time, but when I compiled the x86 component library (libx86.la), it
contained
undefined symbols. I then tried to load a *defined* symbol
"x86_component_library" from the library, but lt_dlopen failed to load the
library (because of the other, undefined symbols, I now realize). The
problem was
the error message returned by lt_dlerror, which said

sid: undefined symbol: x86_component_library

The message probably should have either reported the symbols that actually
were undefined, or simply said "libx86.la contains undefined symbols".

--
Thomas Fitzsimmons
Red Hat Canada Limited        e-mail: address@hidden