Re: libtool 1.4.1 tests

From: s_a_white
Subject: Re: libtool 1.4.1 tests
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 20:43:40 +0100

Hi,

> As for the extension detecting correctly I first
> reported this with libtool 1.3C.  libtool 1.3b had no problems and
returned
> the extension correctly.

After some futher checking I found this in my configure.  Exactly where the
code originates from I'm not sure:

echo $ac_n "checking for executable suffix""... $ac_c" 1>&6
  rm -f conftest*
  echo 'int main () { return 0; }' > conftest.$ac_ext
  ac_cv_exeext=
  if { (eval echo configure:1982: \"$ac_link\") 1>&5; (eval $ac_link)
2>&5; }; then
    for file in conftest.*; do
      case $file in
      *.c | *.o | *.obj) ;;
      *) ac_cv_exeext=`echo $file | sed -e s/conftest//` ;;
      esac

Since the value isn't initially cached it runs the above.  ac_ext has been
set to "C" for a C++ file resulting in a conftest.C to find the executable
suffix.  Certain extensions have been filtered so there not detected as the
executable extension, but since the the case statement is case sensitive the
C++ file extension is not taken into account.  Changing to:

makes it produce the correct answer of no extension.

Simon