lib installation

From: Fausto Sanchez
Subject: lib installation
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 16:55:28 -0700

Hi,

I'm trying to setup a process where when I run a make for any given library, it
should build the .a or .so and install it. Instead of doing a make install after the
build has taken place. Is there a way to do this?

My dilema, is that developers are trying to populate a lib directory with all of the libraries, so that they can use the -L flag and resolve their links. They would like for this to happen when they do a build. So once their Makefiles are created using
autoconf and automake. They should be able to execute a make, the make would
start building libraries and subsequently install them, in a lib directory, their
applications would contain the -L flag to satisfy the symbols.

I tried selling the idea of library dependency via libtool, and although they think it is a great concept they still like to populate a lib directory with libraries during the make.
Is this possible?

Thanks,
fausto..