Re: Darwin patches?

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: Darwin patches?
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 20:41:51 +0100

On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 05:08:31PM -0500, scott hutinger wrote:
> I thought you might be able to help me with this question.
>
> Currently Apple/Darwin keeps some libtool files in their
> /usr/share/libtool that under a build of berkeleydb for OpenOffice, I copy
> those files to the berkelydb before configuration of db-x.
>
> I was wondering if anyone from the Darwin group or Apple ever sends in
> patches?  Possibly they might not get accepted for some reason?  I would
> prefer to get berkelydb patched and over with, instead of tracking it all
> the time.

Sure.  From the ChangeLog in HEAD:

2001-09-06  Gary V. Vaughan  <address@hidden>

        From Daniel Johnson <address@hidden>:
        * libtool.m4 (AC_LIBTOOL_PROG_LD_SHLIBS) [darwin*]: Move from GNU
        ld section to non-GNU ld section.

2001-09-02  Christopher Pfisterer <address@hidden>

        * libtool.m4, ltmain.in: Linker flag and version numbering fixes
        for darwin.

2001-08-05  Gary V. Vaughan  <address@hidden>

        From Brad <address@hidden>:
        * libtool.m4 (archive_cmds) [darwin, newsos, sysv4]: Replace
        1.3 era $linkopts references with $linker_flags.

> The reason is,
>
> [drawin1.[0-2]]] is a bit behind, since Darwin is at 1.4.1 as of October
> 1st.  Although < 1.4.0 is a major change in some instances, although not
> so much with libtool.
>
> I asked the Darwin group why they are just local to the filesystem.

Okay.  Keep us posted.

There is one patch against libtool for the benefit of Darwin, that I
have had to rejected because it causes regressions for most other
platforms.  You should be able to find the thread in the list archives.

Also there is a long standing problem with the way zsh echo handles
backslashes that I haven't had the time to look into.  Fixing this
would make life for libtool on darwin a whole lot easier...

Cheers,
        Gary.
--
  ())_. Gary V. Vaughan     gary@(oranda.demon.co.uk|gnu.org)