Re: libtool cvs rm -f ""

From: Olly Betts
Subject: Re: libtool cvs rm -f ""
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 01:23:01 +0100

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 09:57:18AM +1000, Kevin Ryde wrote:
> Soor, I pruned too much, the libtool case is instead something like
>
>         rm -f "foo.o" ""

Ah right.

> It's the empty argument which is the problem, not no arguments as
> such.
>
> I guess the quotes support spaces in filenames, it probably works
> without them.

I understand autoconf/automake/libtool have problems with filenames with
spaces in, though that's really not an argument for making things worse.

As you suggested, "2> /dev/null" would hide the message.  Or if that seems
unclean, the rm could be split into two (perhaps for a small performance
penalty in that rm gets run twice in one case):

rm -f "foo.o"
test -z "$foo_objs" || rm -f "$foo_objs"

Or use an if to handle the two cases:

if test -z "$foo_objs" ; then
  rm -f "foo.o"
else