Re: Problems with AIX4 Compiler

From: Bill Wendling
Subject: Re: Problems with AIX4 Compiler
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 14:56:26 -0500

Hi all,

It's been awhile...we had a release and stuff and I couldn't get back to
this problem until now.

We're still having this problem even with the newest libtool and autoconf
stuff...

Also sprach address@hidden:
} I have not seen a problem like that before.  But I don't think
} libtool should be issuing link flags during the compile operation.
}
} I would try one of the newer versions of libtool. Version 1.4 has
} many fixes for AIX, and we have a version of 1.3.5 at
} http://www.ibm.com/servers/aix/products/aixos/linux/index.html
} that also includes many of the same changes.
}
} Dan
}
} > From: Bill Wendling <address@hidden>
} > To: address@hidden
} > Subject: Problems with AIX4 Compiler
} >
} > Hello,
} >
} > I have a question/problem with libtool which I was hoping someone here
} > could help me with.
} >
} > We are using ``libtool-1.3.4'' for our project. When working on the SP3
} > machines (config.guess output: rs6000-ibm-aix4.3.3.0, and the other being
} > powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.2.0), the compiler would output "binaries" which don't
} > have the executable bit set. That is, there's a problem during the
} > compile.
} >
} > We've tracked the problem down to the ``ltconfig'' file. Somewhere around
} > line 1280, the line
} >
} >     hardcode_libdir_flag_spec='${wl}-b ${wl}nolibpath ${wl}-b
${wl}libpath:$libdir:/usr/lib:/lib'
} >
} > is being executed. The "-Wl,-b -Wl,nolibpath -Wl,-b -Wl,libpath:..."
} > flags which get appended to the compile line is causing the compiler
} > (C for AIX Compiler, Version 5.0.2.0) to produce the nonexecutable code.
} >
} > I know that libtool is now at verion 1.4, but I have reason to believe
} > that the problem is still in there.
} >
} > Have you seen this before? Is there a fix for it? Right now, we have a
} > very hacky fix (basically checking for the failing platforms and stopping
} > the addition of the -Wl,... flags), but this fails for some machines
} > which change their name from login to login.
} >
} > Thanks you.
} >
} > (P.S., please include my email address in your replies as I'm not
} > subscribed to this list).
} >
} > --
} > || Bill Wendling                    address@hidden