Re: Does libtool really support cross compile?

From: H . J . Lu
Subject: Re: Does libtool really support cross compile?
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 12:24:51 -0800

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 09:18:35PM +0100, Guido Draheim wrote:

> Hmm, I just checked the sources of libtool - and it seems you are
> absolutly correct - there is nothing that will try to detect crosscompiling
> automatically and kill the native's libpath, possibly filling it with the
> one being returned by the cross-compiler. That's surely no problem if the
> build-os and target-os have a different library-format (which is the case
> for me) so that none of the syslibs can get linked - which I guess was the
> common case for decades. And indeed, I have problems to imagine a case
> where that happens to end up with finding actual libs being out to resolve
> symbols with a lib being not available in the target system. If you can
> report a setup where that actually is the case, then libtool will have an
> urgent need to change the behaviour.
>
> anyway, forgive my early reply - I think you are correct, libtool does not
> handle the crosscompiling case in itself. The question comes about whether
> there is a need to actually do it - can you report any specific problem or
> did ye just ask out of noticing the fact....

The problem I am running into is kde 3.0-alpha1. Yes, I am cross compiling
kde from RedHat 7.1/x86 to a different Linux arch. On RedHat 7.1/x86,

# ls -l /usr/lib/libjpeg.*
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       165144 Dec 11  2000 /usr/lib/libjpeg.a
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          470 Dec 11  2000 /usr/lib/libjpeg.la
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           17 Apr  5  2001 /usr/lib/libjpeg.so ->
libjpeg.so.62.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           17 Apr  5  2001 /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62
-> libjpeg.so.62.0.0
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       140596 Dec 11  2000
/usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62.0.0

# /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link  ... -ljpeg ...

was turned into

# /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link  ... /usr/lib/libjpeg.so  ...

It is not right.

H.J.