Re: use of libtool for linking executables - rpath problem

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: use of libtool for linking executables - rpath problem
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 12:45:48 -0800 (PST)

> From: Bruno Haible <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 19:08:59 +0100 (CET)
>
> 1) We don't change our packages. We only tell the user that he should have
>    used LDFLAGS="-L${prefix}/lib -rpath ${prefix}/lib"....
>
> 6) Let each package search for 'libtool' in $PATH and use it if found,
>    and fall back to 1) if not found....
>
>    This works only when the same C compiler is used to build the package
>    as was used to configure libtool.

Can you please explain why (6) has this limitation?  Is this something
that can easily be fixed by modifying libtool?  (Sorry, I am not a
libtool expert.)

If we can remove this limitation of libtool, then (6) sounds like a
nice solution, as it would be easily understood (even by non-libtool
experts like me :-).

By the way, thanks for your analysis.  This is a real problem that
seems to me to be getting worse with time.