Re: use of libtool for linking executables - rpath problem

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: use of libtool for linking executables - rpath problem
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 22:43:47 -0600 (CST)

On 19 Nov 2001, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Rob Browning <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > The problem I'm talking about is if Makefile.am's use
>
> >   LDFLAGS = `gnome-config --libs foo` `foo-config --libs bar`
>
> > then if you've got a normal gnome-dev package installed, such that
> > it's libs are in /usr/lib, it will (or at least it used to) put
> > -L/usr/lib into LDFLAGS ahead of whatever foo-config specifies.
>
> This is a bug in the packaging that should be reported to your
> distribution.  Under no circumstances should /usr/lib, /usr/include, and
> other such default paths be included in the configured link or compile
> flags, and the packager needs to fix them if they are.

Remember that there are still many of us who have not adopted Linux or
some other system where pre-compiled packages are preferred.  We
actually compile packages from sources on our systems.  There is no
one responsible for how an application is installed on our system
other than the application developer, and the options we (the end
user) choose.

How is the application developer to know which directories are
searched by default?  The tools used may not even be consistent.  For
example, the compiler may look in /usr/local automatically, but the
system linker does not.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden