Re: use of libtool for linking executables - rpath problem

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: use of libtool for linking executables - rpath problem
Date: 20 Nov 2001 01:28:24 -0800

Lars J Aas <address@hidden> writes:

> There are always exceptions.  A bunch of projects I am a developer on
> uses the MS Visual C++ compiler when building on Cygwin platforms.
> Would you be surprised to know that VC++ does *not* search Cygwins
> /usr/include for headers by default? :)

This sort of thing is why autoconf and friends support setting CPPFLAGS
and LDFLAGS in the environment.  :)  I think it's unreleastic to try to
take into account every bizarre combination of compilers and run-time;
including -I/usr/include can completely break things and including
-L/usr/lib makes it almost impossible to use locally-installed versions of
vendor libraries, so they both cause significant enough problems that I
think it's worth asking the people with odd compilers to set the
appropriate environment variables themselves if the compiler they're using
really needs to be told about those directories.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>