RE: DLL_EXPORT and MinGW/Cygwin

From: Jon Leichter
Subject: RE: DLL_EXPORT and MinGW/Cygwin
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 13:19:06 -0800

Robert,

Thanks for your response. I have comments interleaved.

Should I be able to see this in the HEAD branch of CVS? I did a quick check
for "auto-import" and didn't find anything significant. Am I missing
something?

> Also, with some automake perl magic the appropriate defines for
> libraries can be added automagically to the compile line - I chose
> *library*_DLL_IMPORT and *library*_DLL_EXPORT to allow correct behaviour
> with multiple libraries, including static and dynamic libraries.

Are you saying that in addition to libtool, you ALSO use automake to
accomplish this in your own projects? In other words, you are talking about
your own projects and not an extension/change to libtool, correct?

Obviously, *library*_DLL_IMPORT and *library*_DLL_EXPORT are intelligent
choices. I'm in complete agreement with that.

Can you elaborate more on the process that you used to distinguish between
static and dynamic libraries? When you build a project with an external
library (in Windows), you need to know where that library lives, which type
of library is available (i.e. static, dynamic, or both), and which type you
will necessarily link with. Without this information, it's not possible to
automagically set the appropriate defines.

Jon