Explicit AIX archival enabling

From: Marc Stephenson
Subject: Explicit AIX archival enabling
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 13:08:51 -0600 (CST)

Currently with libtool on AIX, whether or not a shared object is generated
as a standalone .so file or as an archive with a .so member is controlled
by the use of the run-time linking option in the ld flags.

We had a request in November by a user who wanted to generate a standalone
.so file with run-time linking disabled, and now we just ran into a case
where a user would like to generate an archive with run-time linking
enabled.

How would we best modify libtool to accept an explicit enabling and disabling
of the archival step?  An --aix_archive=enable/disable option maybe?  Is
this an AIX-unique problem?
--
Marc Stephenson                                   IBM Server Group - Austin, TX
Internet:  address@hidden                          NOTES: address@hidden