Re: libtool for C++

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: libtool for C++
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 10:15:06 -0600 (CST)

CVS libtool seems to work just fine for C++.  I have been using it to
build a C++ shared library for maybe 1-1/2 years now.  Libtool uses
the C++ compiler to compile and link C++ modules so I expect that any
static initialization problems would be due to the compiler or OS, and
not libtool itself.  Some OSs are known to have problems with static
construction/destruction in C++ loadable modules.

I do see problems with throwing C++ exceptions from a shared library
under SPARC Solaris 2.6 (but not Solaris 7) but I suspect that gcc is
at fault here because they used to work ok.  I recall that C++
exceptions were working for me under Solaris 2.6 with gcc 2.95.2, but
stopped working with 2.95.3 and later.  I am also seeing problems with
static destruction under Solaris 2.6 (but not Solaris 7).  It was
suggested to me that I use gcc with the latest binutils, but that lead
to a severely disfunctional C++ compiler.

Bob