Re: How do I export only specific symbols? What name should I pass to lt

From: Charles Wilson
Subject: Re: How do I export only specific symbols? What name should I pass to lt_dlopen?
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 13:03:24 -0500

Stephano Mariani wrote:

Hello,

I am using the current libtool with cygwin 1.3.9 (all packages up to
date as of this morning):
libtool             20010531a-1
libtool-devel       20020202-1
libtool-devel-src   20020202-1
libtool-stable      1.4.2-2

My project has to run on windows (NT/2000/XP) and Linux (2.4.9) and
Solaris (8).

Here is the relevant portion of the makefile Makefile.am:

[snip]

lib_LTLIBRARIES = libsk.la
libsk_la_SOURCES = ...
libsk_la_LDFLAGS = -no-undefined -export-dynamic -version-info 1:0:0
-module -export-symbols sk.sym

libtool uses '--export-all-symbols' in its link command, which apparently overrides your '-export-symbols sk.sym' option. (BTW, -export-dynamic seems to have no effect in cygwin binutils.)

However, including a .def file in the list of objects to be linked will override '--export-all-symbols'. I think.

[/snip]

However, when examining the libsk.dll.a on windows, ALL the symbols are
exported! I have yet to see if the patched libtool even works on Linux
or Solaris.

It works on Linux, for me.

How do I specify a .def file for windows targets? The .sym seems to make
no difference.

You need to figure out how to add the .def file to libsk_la_OBJECTS -- I'm not sure how to do that. As far as doing it conditionally (e.g. only on windows) -- first things first: figure out how to add it AT ALL...then worry about conditionalizing it.

--Chuck