RE: Specifying a .def file for use with libtools libraries

From: Stephano Mariani
Subject: RE: Specifying a .def file for use with libtools libraries
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 19:33:36 -0000

Yes, I have, and unfortunately, it does not work!

I have been looking through the source code of the libtool generated by
configure... it seems that it generates an .exp file using the following
command:

/usr/bin/nm -B  .libs/libfile_somefile.o  | sed -n -e 's/^.*[
]\([ABCDGISTW][ABCDGISTW]*\)[   ][
]*\(_\)\([_A-Za-z][_A-Za-z0-9]*\)$/\1 \2\3 \3/p' | sed 's/.* //' | sort
| uniq > .libs/libfile.exp

And passes it to ld via gcc using -Wl,-retain-symbols-file
-Wl,.libs/libfile.exp

This seems flawed to me since ld simply ignores it as far as I can see!

Stephano Mariani