libtool and Solaris

From: Ben Rockwood
Subject: libtool and Solaris
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 11:13:18 -0800

Hello.

Please forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask this question, but I didn't
know what better place.

I'm trying to build several projects from Linux on Solaris.  I'm using libtool
1.4 and GCC 2.95.3 on Solaris8.  I'm building IMLIB2.  When I build it using
the Sun linker I get the following behavour:

/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link gcc  -g -O2 -L/usr/X11R6/lib -o testfilter.la
-rpath /usr/local/lib/loaders/filter -no-undefined -module -avoid-version
filter_test.lo
rm -fr .libs/testfilter.la .libs/testfilter.* .libs/testfilter.*
/usr/ccs/bin/ld -G -z defs -h testfilter.so -o .libs/testfilter.so
filter_test.lo  -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lc
imlib_create_color_modifier         filter_test.lo
imlib_free_image_and_decache        filter_test.lo
imlib_create_image                  filter_test.lo
imlib_image_fill_rectangle          filter_test.lo
imlib_context_set_color_modifier    filter_test.lo
<snip>
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to .libs/testfilter.so

The interesting thing is that if I use GNU Binutils on Solaris the library
builds with no problems... HOWEVER everything that uses this library compiled
via Binutils code dumps on startup (Bus Error).

I've removed binutils from my system, grabbed the latest Sun patch for the
linker and tried over and over to get past this, but can't.  Can anyone help?

Any help is _greatly_ appreciated.

address@hidden