Re: PATCH: pointless code removal

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: PATCH: pointless code removal
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 23:01:51 -0800

Bruce Korb wrote:

> Hi Alexandre,

How's this?

It fixes a bug, too.  From the original:

>     for arg
>     do
>       case $prev in
>       "") ;;
>       xcompiler)
>       # Aesthetically quote the previous argument.
>       prev=
>       lastarg=`$echo "X$arg" | $Xsed -e "$sed_quote_subst"`
>
>       case $arg in
>       # Double-quote args containing other shell metacharacters.
>       # Many Bourne shells cannot handle close brackets correctly
>       # in scan sets, so we specify it separately.
>       *[\[\~\#\^\&\*\(\)\{\}\|\;\<\>\?\'\ \   ]*|*]*|"")
>         arg="\"$arg\""

Methinks "arg" should read "lastarg".
Or else, don't mess with "lastarg" and just use "arg"
throughout this clause.

>         ;;
>       esac
>
>       # Add the previous argument to base_compile.
>       if test -z "$base_compile"; then
>         base_compile="$lastarg"
>       else
>         base_compile="$base_compile $lastarg"
>       fi
>       continue
>       ;;

Anyway, attached is a rewrite of the whole section in a
way that I can understand.  It seems to do the same thing
for me....(except that it is also capable of putting double
quotes around the argument pointed out above and it leaves
a spurious space character at the start of the base_compile
string...)

Bruce Korb
AG URL: http://autogen.sourceforge.net