Re: [Mingw-users] Building DLLs using MinGW & libtool

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: [Mingw-users] Building DLLs using MinGW & libtool
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 10:07:03 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Earnie Boyd wrote:

> > > All autoconfiguration tools must have the same prefix, that's why I
> > > provided the msysDTK.  I have the configured all of the tools to
> > > --prefix=/usr.
> >
> > I am not using any MinGW-specific auto* tools.  I am using the latest
> > releases of GNU Autoconf, Automake, and current CVS libtool.
> >

> How, are you using the current CVS libtool????  How did you build it?
> How did you configure it?  Did you build autoconf and automake or are
> you using the ones provided in the msysDTK?  Which has version 1.4.2 of
> libtool.

I simply did a CVS checkout from the respository
":pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/libtool:" as I have
been doing for several years now (since libtool came into being).
After CVS libtool is built and installed in the development
environment, I libtoolize the package so that libtool is included with
the package.  This eliminates any need for libtool to be included in
the user's development environment.  My auto/libtool work is done
using a Sun Solaris system, or a matching Cygwin development
environment depending on which environment I happen to be using at the
time.

Libtool 1.4.2 is too broken to meet the needs of our package on
certain other OS targets.

> To build the CVS version of libtool I had to modify /etc/config.site

Yikes!  I have never seen this sort of internals stuff in a
config.site file.  It seems to presume a particular version/release of
libtool since the names/meanings of these libtool internal variables
are subject to change.

Isn't the proper approach to merge any MinGW/MSYS related settings
into the offical GNU libtool version so that all libtool-based
packages benefit?

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden