Re: [Mingw-users] Building DLLs using MinGW & libtool

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: [Mingw-users] Building DLLs using MinGW & libtool
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 22:05:43 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Earnie Boyd wrote:

> > Libtool 1.4.2 is too broken to meet the needs of our package on
> > certain other OS targets.
> >
> > > To build the CVS version of libtool I had to modify /etc/config.site

I have now put another full day into trying to get ImageMagick to
build/install DLLs under MinGW.  In order to prove that it is even
possible, I libtoolized, aclocaled, automaked, and autoconfed the
package using the versions provided with MSYS.  I was eventually able
to build DLLs. Unfortunately, now I see that while DLLs can be built,
'make install' is seriously broken.  Maybe it can work for only the
most trivial packages (those with no dependent DLLs or executables).

I observe:

 1) The primary DLL is installed under /usr/local/lib, and then
    libtool attempts to re-link modules using the just-installed
    library. Every symbol used from that library (with "_imp__"
    prefix) is reported as unresolved.

 2) If modules have not been selected then a similar problem to #1
    occurs with executables.  Oddly this problem doesn't seem to
    occur for executables if modules have been built (instead
    problem #3 occurs).

 3) Even though the built executables are in a .libs subdirectory,
    the Makefile tries to install them from the current directory.

In conclusion, the libtool currently delivered to support MinGW seems
to be seriously broken for 'make install'.  The official GNU CVS
version of libtool should be updated to properly support MinGW/MSYS so
that packages do not need to be re-libtoolized prior to use.  MSYS
should not distribute a config.site which has knowledge of libtool
internals for a particular version of libtool.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden