Re: difference between default behaviour of GNU nm and AIX nm (symbol d

From: Laurent Vivier
Subject: Re: difference between default behaviour of GNU nm and AIX nm (symbol demangling)
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 16:14:31 +0200

Albert Chin wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 01:17:56PM +0200, Laurent Vivier wrote:
> > Low-level symbol demangling is not made by default with GNU nm, but it
> > is with AIX nm.
> > This creates some problems when exporting symbols from libraries.

[...]
> Is this the default behaviour for GNU nm regardless of platform? If
> so, I say test for GNU nm rather than the host OS and act accordingly.
> Do other platforms (i.e. Linux) with GNU nm have the same problem?

I think GNU nm has the same behaviour on every platform (linux, solaris,
hp, and so on).
I want to use libtool on AIX with native AIX nm that hasn't the same
behaviour.
Libtool has been developed for GNU nm, so if I want to use AIX nm, I
need to pass good arguments to have same behaviour as GNU nm.
I can't test only GNU nm or not because I don't know how acts nm on
solaris, hp or other.
So I test "AIX", if AIX I know "special case !", and to be sure I test
it's not GNU nm (because it can be installed instead of native AIX nm)