Re: 64bit HPUX problems

From: ross . alexander
Subject: Re: 64bit HPUX problems
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 16:32:25 +0100

Albert et al,

The change to config.guess is to detect whether the compiler is set produce
64bit
code.  The concensus (I think) is that hppa2.0w represents a 64bit OS with
32bit
tools where as hppa*64* represents a 64bit tool chain.  A design decision
was made
by myself that libtool itself will not  check for the 64bit environment.
Either the user
will specify it with the --build flag or config.guess will detect (if that
change is allowed).

As for hardcode_into_libs, these values where taken from the IA64 values as
this is
an HPUX ELF system, which is actually much closer in behaviour to PA64
behaviour
than the 32bit SOM environment.  However, I'm easy and if anybody comes out
with
a categorical statement either way, I'll go that way.

It does fix the problem with -R poluting the $deplibs variable.  All I need
is some pointers
to exactly which lines on code I should be looking at.

Cheers,

Ross

Ross Alexander                           "He knows no more about his
MIS - NEC Europe Limited            destiny than a tea leaf knows
Work ph: +44 20 8752 3394         the history of East India Company"

                      Albert Chin

                      <address@hidden        To:       address@hidden

                      enword.com>              cc:       address@hidden

                                               Subject:  Re: 64bit HPUX
problems
                      13/08/2002 16:22

                      Please respond to

                      libtool

On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 02:33:40PM +0100, address@hidden
wrote:
> I have made changes to config.guess to detect hppa64 systems and
> changed in libtool.m4 to add support for for that environment.  However,
> I am getting a problem with hardcoded -rpath values.

Why did you have to modify config.guess? I have it detecting my 64-bit
HP-UX 11.11 box as hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.11.

> The 64bit environment has
>
>       hardcode_into_libs = no
>
> but -R /usr/local/lib (for example) picked up in dependency libraries
> gets carried though to the $deplibs value used in the link and
> relink commands.
>
> This looks like a bug, but could have been fixed in CVS.  If anybody
> has come across this, I would like to get it fixed.

I would set hardcode_into_libs=yes on HP-UX. At least on 10.20 and
11.x. It's current the default for IA64 only.

--
albert chin (address@hidden)