Re: 64bit HPUX problems

From: John David Anglin
Subject: Re: 64bit HPUX problems
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 13:56:54 -0400 (EDT)

> 'hppa2.0w' represents the architecture. It has nothing to do with
> HP-UX.
>
> I disagree with using $host or $build to determine whether or not the
> user wants a 32-bit or 64-bit build. Solaris 64-bit builds definitely
> don't work this way. Ditto for IRIX 64-bit builds.

It's the target architecture that is relevant here.  In a native
build (build=host=target), it is possible to check __LP64__.  It
would be convenient to select hppa2.0w or hppa64 based on __LP64__
when the user doesn't explicitly specify a host, build or target
when configuring for a native build.  Otherwise, the standard
configuration rules should be used to determine the target.  In
my builds, I typically specify --host when I want a 64-bit build
because target and build default to the specified host value.

Now, the check of __LP64__ is really a check of the data model
being used by the compiler.  While __LP64__ is currently equivalent
to the +DA2.0W architecute (HP cc nomenclature) and the ILP32 model
is equivalent to the +DA1.1 architecture, there is no guarantee
that this will always be the case.  It would probably be better
to check the value of the .LEVEL directive in some assembler
output if you want to determine the architecture being used
by the compiler.

> Why not do it the way AIX does for runtime linking by setting the
> appropriate flags if a 64-bit build is requested (using your __LP64__
> trick)?

Won't work.  Gcc and binutils do not allow selecting 32-bit or 64-bit
output with a flag.  You need separate tools, runtime libraries, etc.
Jeff probably has a better idea how much work is involved in integrating
the tools but I don't think it will happen in the next year.

Dave
--
J. David Anglin                                  address@hidden