Re: 64bit HPUX problems

From: John David Anglin
Subject: Re: 64bit HPUX problems
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 13:06:11 -0400 (EDT)

>  In message <address@hidden>, "John David
> Anglin" writes:
>  >> 'hppa2.0w' represents the architecture. It has nothing to do with
>  >> HP-UX.
> Almost true.
>
> The "w" is unfortunately actually related to the OS, not the architecture.

Hmmm.  Thought the "w" referred to the W bit in the PSW being set to 1.
Setting this bit does change the code architecture, although OS support
is obviously needed as well.

> You can easily get a machine from HP which contains a fully functional
> PA2.0 processor, but where the OS will not run 64bit binaries.  For those
> machines config.guess will give you "hppa2.0" (or hppa2.0n).

I believe that this was taken into consideration in the config.guess
patch that I circulated.  For these machines, the code level will be
2.0 or 2.0n (no "w") and hppa64 will never be set.

The HP compiler has separate options to set the architecture and data
model, although they are far from independent.

Dave
--
J. David Anglin                                  address@hidden