linking takes forever

From: Travis D. Ray
Subject: linking takes forever
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 08:57:03 -0500

Hi,

    I've been experiencing difficulties with libtool while attempting to
compile gnome-2.0 this weekend.  It first appeared to me that it was hung,
but after leaving it alone for an hour, it was able to complete the current
linking task.  I passed it off as a fluke and continued compiling, but it
kept happening.  Libtool seems to work fine for some packages and badly for
others.

    I remember seeing warnings for libraries (.la) that, "seem to have
moved".  Could it be the search that is taking so long?  I checked, and
those libraries that supposedly have moved are in /opt/gnome-2.0/lib (where
it's supposed to be looking), and have also ldconfig-ed.

    My OS is Linux From Scratch-3.3 which includes libtool-1.4.2.

    I appreciate any advice or direction.  Thank you.

--
Travis D. Ray