Implementing --enable-profiled and --enable-pic

From: Jeff Bailey
Subject: Implementing --enable-profiled and --enable-pic
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 17:57:48 -0700

I would like to implement --enable-profile, and --enable-pic.

My thought is that I will make libtool create _pic.a and _p.a versions
of the libraries.  These will be disabled by default.

Because I'm only really familiar with gcc on i386-pc-gnu and
i386-pc-linux-gnu, my initial thought is that I will try to make it
just not produce these files if the system isn't ELF and doesn't run
GCC.  I can probably test this a bit on sparc-sun-solaris2.8 (with gcc
and a native compiler).

If you have guidance, or particular things I should watch for, please
let me know.

Tks,
Jeff Bailey

--
At last you cry out in anguish: "Why me?"
God answers: "Why not?"