is mdemo-static.test supposed to PASS?

From: Steve M. Robbins
Subject: is mdemo-static.test supposed to PASS?
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 12:36:58 -0400

Hello,

I'm running linux (Debian/unstable) with reasonably modern autoconf
& automake.  I checked out the current libtool CVS sources, and ran
the test suite.  It failed in this section:

PASS: mdemo-static.test
PASS: mdemo-make.test
FAIL: mdemo-exec.test
FAIL: mdemo-inst.test

I ran one of the "mdemo-exec.test" tests by hand:

    ./mdemo foo1.la
        Welcome to GNU libtool mdemo!
        can't open the module foo1.la!
        error was: file not found
        myfunc returned: 57616
        myfunc is ok!

The file "foo1.la" exists.  I traced through the code with the
debugger to be sure that "foo1.la" is opened and read.

The error comes from find_module() in ltdl.c.  That function is called
with arguments dlname=0x0 and old_name="foo1.a".  The code then
proceeds to call tryall_dlopen(handle,old_name), which fails because
"foo1.a" is not found.

The file "foo1.a" is in subdirectory .libs.  If I copy it by hand into
"mdemo", then I can run "./mdemo foo1.la".

In order to make "mdemo-exec.test" happy, I have to copy foo1.a and
libfoo2.a into directory "tests".

Who's at fault here?  The libtool code for not looking in the right
place for the .a files?  Or the test suite for not putting the .a files
in the right place?

Thanks,
-Steve

P.S.  Here's the generated "foo1.la" file.

# foo1.la - a libtool library file
# Generated by ltmain.sh - GNU libtool 1.4e (1.1131 2002/09/10 13:50:05)
#
# Please DO NOT delete this file!
# It is necessary for linking the library.

# The name that we can dlopen(3).
dlname=''

# Names of this library.
library_names=''

# The name of the static archive.
old_library='foo1.a'

# Libraries that this one depends upon.
dependency_libs=' -lm
/usr/local/src/devel/autotools/libtool-cvs/mdemo/libsub.la '

# Version information for foo1.
current=0
age=0
revision=0

# Is this an already installed library?
installed=no

# Files to dlopen/dlpreopen
dlopen=''
dlpreopen=''

# Directory that this library needs to be installed in:
libdir='/usr/local/src/devel/autotools/libtool-cvs/tests/_inst/lib'