Re: libbfd, libtool & Win32

From: David Olofson
Subject: Re: libbfd, libtool & Win32
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 17:23:57 +0200

On Monday 16 September 2002 15:55, David Olofson wrote:
> Reading up on libbfd right now, just to get an idea of how much, and
> what kind of work we're talking about here.
>
> One question, for orientation:
>       What's in libtool right now, and what's missing?

Ok... After reading some old posts, it appears that the current situation
is basially this:

        if there is an import lib; then
                just use the import lib
        else
                build impgen    (Cross Kaboom 1: Mine dies at 'as'.)
                run impgen      (Cross Kaboom 2: impgen == target binary!)
                make an import lib out of the output
        fi

What we'd need is a install time compiled tool to replace impgen. (No
need to have that tool mess with the actualy import lib creation, right?)

Further, the tool should preferably be based on libbfd, instead of the
current raw digging-around-in-a-binary solution.

Is that correct?

Finally, I understand there were problems actually getting the *right*
symbols out of a DLL, using libdfb. Does anyone know if this was because
of limited libbfd/PE support, or something else?

//David Olofson --- Programmer, Reologica Instruments AB