Re: [Mingw-users] Re: "Re: libbfd, libtool & Win32" and "Re: Building a

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: [Mingw-users] Re: "Re: libbfd, libtool & Win32" and "Re: Building a MinGW GLibetc..."
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 01:12:06 +0200

Earnie Boyd wrote:
Guido Draheim wrote:

There is one major decision that needs to be made: Keep or remove support for
old versions of the mingw toolchain.
All the -mdll stuff is deprecated in favour of gcc -shared now.

Option 1) Remove support pre "gcc -shared" toolchains
Pro: simplifies maintenance.
Con: might upset some people.

How old may a gcc/binutils pair be? My oldest crosscompilers
are gcc 2.95.3 and ld --version reports 2.11.90.8. And for
all I know, these are in fact the oldest versions around,
no one want to go back beyond, I guess.

Is that enough, Max?

Current distribution is GCC-3.2 and binutils-2.13.  Yes, the versions
you have are old enough to support.  They also include all that's
needed, IIRC.

That's what I guessed from `ld --help` output.
Actually, I can test any patch for being fine for these version,
and for what its worth, I vote to to dump support for anything
earlier than those. So... if it works, I'm with it.