Re: [Mingw-users] Re: libbfd, libtool & Win32

From: David Olofson
Subject: Re: [Mingw-users] Re: libbfd, libtool & Win32
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 11:53:18 +0200

On Wednesday 18 September 2002 11:46, Danny Smith wrote:
>  --- David Olofson <address@hidden> wrote: > On Tuesday 17
>
> September 2002 20:33, Guido Draheim wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > > On another e-mail, you said to have some idea of the `objdump -p`
> > > output of an export table. If someone could work that out with a
> > > portable shell program (sh/sed/etc), then we can let that impgen.sh
> > > be created in the $builddir instead of an impgen.exe, and have it
> > > run through extract_expsyms_cmd. That would atleast fix our
> > > crosscompile problem.
> >
> > That could work, but I'm not sure how much we can rely on the format
> > of that output. Either way, it generates *a lot* of data that we need
> > to throw away. Not a major issue, I guess, but it doesn't feel
> > right...
>
> I'm a bit late catching up with this thread.  No one has mentioned the
> code in ld/pe-dll.c, function pe_implied_import_dll (filename) which
> extract def file from dll.  Is that what you are trying to do?

Yes. Is that's the code that's engaged when having gcc link directly with
a DLL? Dunno' what the exact problem with that is, but it was suggested
that it would be a good idea not to rely on it entirely just yet.

> A gotcha with this is that some exported names in dll are aliases, the
> prime culprit being stdcall names.

Uh oh. Why would that be an issue with ld, if it isn't with impgen.c...?

//David Olofson --- Programmer, Reologica Instruments AB