Re: [Mingw-users] Re: libbfd, libtool & Win32

From: Earnie Boyd
Subject: Re: [Mingw-users] Re: libbfd, libtool & Win32
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 18:02:03 -0400

Guido Draheim wrote:

> Just my point. It's nice that cygwin wants to emulate the unix behaviour
> to a degree that even data-symbols are im/exported in the usual manner,
> that's different with mingw-software where I do take the burden to make
> it ready to run in crippled environment, just to make it more "native".
> That's the whole point of it anyway... and therefore, making software
> windows-ready means to look for the difference in datasymbol export (and
> to not use them, actually). I won't make use of that cygwin feature
> since I know of problems with compiling the dll sources with msvc and
> borland and watcom - and I am quite sure they don't have the same scheme
> of wrapping the unixish stuff in DLLs, like exported data symbols.

Hmm...  Well, the gcc source is the same for both Cygwin and MinGW,
AFAIK, at least that's what I get out of Danny Smith and Chris Faylor
posts.  So, what works for Cygwin should work for MinGW.  Now,
interoperation between MSVC, Watcom, Borland, etc, and GCC; is it
doable, and if doable, is it worth it?

Earnie.