Re: [Mingw-users] Re: libbfd, libtool & Win32

From: David Olofson
Subject: Re: [Mingw-users] Re: libbfd, libtool & Win32
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 20:01:42 +0200

On Monday 23 September 2002 15:30, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> David Olofson wrote:
> > However, it's still a very bad idea to compile tools as part of the
> > application build process. ;-)
>
> Right, if you want to install implib as part of distributable resource
> when target == some win32 platform (Cygwin, MinGW, MSVC, etc.) fine,
> but don't create it in every .libs/ directory.

Anything that doesn't force me to explain to libtool which compiler to
use for this single special case - only to find out it blows up anyway,
for other reasons. :-)

I still think the only safe way is to compile impgen.c entirely outside
the scope of a project build. The problems I've been having occur even if
impgen is compiled first thing when the project's configure.in is
executed, if I'm cross compiling.

That brings up another interesting point: If impgen was to be compiled
when installing libtool, wouldn't that result in the same problem? I
mean, impgen should only build when you're installing libtool for a cross
compiler - and then you're in that darn cross compiler environment again!
*heh*

How would one get around that?

//David Olofson --- Programmer, Reologica Instruments AB

.- Coming soon from VaporWare Inc...------------------------.
| The Return of Audiality! Real, working software. Really!  |
| Real time and off-line synthesis, scripting, MIDI, LGPL...|