Re: Add hppa*64* support to libtool

From: ross . alexander
Subject: Re: Add hppa*64* support to libtool
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 16:24:47 +0100

Wrong address first time...

Ross Alexander                           "We demand clearly defined
MIS - NEC Europe Limited            boundaries of uncertainty and
Work ph: +44 20 8752 3394         doubt."

__________________

David & Jeff et al,

Sorry at taking so long to get back about the libtool changes.  I
haven't heard back from Ben Elliston about the config.guess changes
so I assumed that --build=hppa64-hp-hpux11.?? has been set.

The main problem I have come accross is hardcode_into_libs.  For
gcc/binutils there is not a problem, because hardcode_libdir_flag_spec
is set to ${wl}+b ${wl}$libdir.  As archive_cmds uses gcc there are
no problems.

However, with gcc/hpld archive_cmds uses ld, so the
hardcode_libdir_flag_spec
causes it to fail.  I solves with by turning off hardcode_into_libs if
libtool
is using the hp linker but it hardly ideal.  One solution for gcc to be
modified
so it can be used as a front end to the HP ld for creating shared
libraries.
Is this feasible option worth pursuing with the gcc people, or should we
just accept using the HP linker is a less than desirable solution anyway.

Personally I find much of the HP-UX code in libtool to be very ugly,
between supporting hpux9, ia64 and hppa64 it is a real mess in
places.  I don't mind having a go at tidying it up but I don't have an
ia64 machine to do any testing on.

All else failing, I will be submitting an initial patch to libtool late
next week in an attempt to get something in.

Cheers,

Ross