Re: libtool 1.4.2 on Darwin

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: libtool 1.4.2 on Darwin
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 08:53:17 +0200

Isn't that the old zsh qouting bug? Well, people still refuse to give us
an 1.4.3 anysoon, so may be you want to expand your configure scripts with:
http://ac-archive.sf.net/Installed_Packages/patch_libtool_on_darwin_zsh_overquoting.html

Christoph Egger wrote:
Usually I don't reply myself, but I have some news related to my problem:

Hi!

I am running Darwin 6.1. libtool 1.4.2, autoconf 2.52 and automake 1.6.1

are

shipped with it.

The application I write loads dynamic libs at runtime or at least it

should.

But Darwin says, the dynamic lib are not of the right type of object

file.

Having a closer look how these libs are build, I noticed that gcc

_always_

uses the -dynamiclib option. Though libtool should use the -bundle

option,

when the -module option is passed to libtool.

Having a look into the libtool.m4 file, I found this line:

archive_cmds='$nonopt $(test "x$module" = xyes && echo -bundle || echo
-dynamiclib) $allow_undefined_flag -o $lib
$libobjs $deplibs$linker_flags -install_name $rpath/$soname $verstring'

As gcc _always_ uses the -dynamiclib option, the $module variable is not
set to "yes", when it should.

$module _is_ set to yes. In the above mentioned line is a quoting bug.
Replacing the above line by this one works:

archive_cmds='$nonopt $(test .$module = .yes && echo -bundle || echo
-dynamiclib) $allow_undefined_flag -o $lib $
libobjs $deplibs$linker_flags -install_name $rpath/$soname $verstring'

Now, I have another problem:
gcc: -install_name only allowed with -dynamiclib