Re: libtool 1.4.2 on Darwin

From: Boehne, Robert
Subject: Re: libtool 1.4.2 on Darwin
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 10:11:18 -0500

Benjamin,

My point is that it would encourage developers to
write softwre that would ONLY compile on Darwin.

A similar case is the use of $ORIGIN/ in a hardcoded
library path.  Not many OS's support it, and anyone
who depends on it would limit the possible supported
platform list down to only those that do.

In your case, that would be one, Darwin.  Rather than
use a Darwin-specific feature like that, developer's
time is better spent fixing the namespace issues themselves.

If Libtool supports this feature, anything that used
it would only link on Darwin (AFAICT), and that is
a very Bad Thing(tm).  If your Darwin-specific package
uses Libtool, and requires this library namespace
feature, you shouldn't be using Libtool anyway.
Libtool isn't intended to wrap every OS specific feature,
it is intended to be a universal subset of linker
features that is common to any OS (or implemented
in Libtool itself).

I wouldn't be inclined to accept a patch that simply
turned on this flag on Darwin when linking, but I would
be inclined to accept a patch that supported library
namespaces on every (or at leat most) platform known
to Libtool.  The problem with that is technical, I don't
think it would be possible to do that.  So I simply
suggest your efforts be concentrated elsewhere.

This is all assuming that I understand this library
namespace feature...  Maybe I don't, and I should shut up. ;)

Thanks,

Robert

--
Robert Boehne             Software Engineer
Ricardo Software   Chicago Technical Center