Re: MinGW libtool DLL failure

From: Earnie Boyd
Subject: Re: MinGW libtool DLL failure
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 12:24:57 -0400

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Boehne, Robert wrote:

 The only thing that troubles me about the link line Bob posted is
that a .dll is specified in the link, not the corresponding .lib.
I'm not a Windows guru, but I thought that you never link to a
dll directly, but to the .lib that is created when the dll is.

This, of course, is possible via the wonders of libtool.  Libtool
should hide the fact that a .lib or .a (or whatever) is actually used
under the covers.  In fact, Microsoft compilers, Cygwin, and MinGW
appear to use different naming schemes for these link libraries.

Both Cygwin and MinGW should use .dll.a for shared import library and should use .a for static library. Both Cygwin and MinGW will find foo.lib for -lfoo as a last resort if it exists in the library search path. Both Cygwin and MinGW will find foo.dll to satisfy -lfoo if nothing libfoo.dll.a, libfoo.a or foo.lib doesn't exist and foo.dll is in the library search path.

Earnie.