libtool on Darwin

From: F J Franklin
Subject: libtool on Darwin
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 08:45:07 +0100 (BST)

Hi y'all,

Sorry for being so quiet on this issue. I'm not going to say anything
about 1.4.2, since I'm only familiar with CVS.

Nice of Jaguar to use bash these days, but I still get a lot of broken
tests. I have a couple of fixes at home but I don't know whether they fix
causes or symptoms... anyway, I've got it down to one failed test (not
including f77 failures).

I haven't tested the convenience lib bug thingy yet, so I'm not posting my
patches here yet.

Two-Level Namespace
===================

There really is no need to add extra options to libtool. Just change

-flat_namespace -undefined suppress

-multiply_defined suppress -prebind

in the archive command in libtool.m4

oh, and move the version string and install path inside the brackets with
-dynamiclib

To get prebinding to work you need to supply address ranges, which you can
do by, e.g.:

libMy_la_LDFLAGS = -seg1addr 3fff8000

(remembering, of course, that applications should start at 0 and MacOSX
uses the 40000000 <= addr < 8000000 range)

If you can't be bothered with prebinding, well, maybe we leave -prebind
out of libtool.m4 and add it in libMy_la_LDFLAGS = ...

oh, well. your call.

Ciao, Frank

Francis James Franklin
address@hidden

  `Medium atomic weights are available: Gold, Lead, Copper, Jet, Diamond,
Radium, Sapphire, Silver and Steel.
  `Sapphire and Steel have been assigned...'