Re: [Mingw-msys] Re: MinGW libtool DLL failure

From: Max Bowsher
Subject: Re: [Mingw-msys] Re: MinGW libtool DLL failure
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 23:29:45 +0100

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>
>> Well, shouldn't both use $(bindir) to install the dll into?
>
> What would be nice except that I don't believe libtool is provided
> with this information at run-time.  It acts like a traditional install
> program.  The Cygwin folks are using the ../bin trick to get around
> that.

I floated an idea on how to get around that: Adjust the libtool invocation
command (as determined in libtool.m4) to be "libtool --bindir=$(bindir)" (or
perhaps with appropriate quoting). The idea being that when used from an
autoconf-based makefile (is it even possible to do otherwise, now there is
no ltconfig?), the make variable bindir is passed on to libtool. Kludgy,
yes, but better than ../bin. Of course, libtool would need to detect an
invalid bindir and fall back on ../bin. I haven't fully worked this through
yet, though, as I've just started university, so am a bit busy, and to top
it off, my hard drive is making loud clicking noises and bluescreening my
laptop from time to time.

Max.