Re: [Mingw-msys] Re: MinGW libtool DLL failure

From: Max Bowsher
Subject: Re: [Mingw-msys] Re: MinGW libtool DLL failure
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 19:18:55 +0100

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Max Bowsher wrote:
>>
>> So we conditionalize all this so it only activates on Windows.
>
> There is a fundamental flaw with this logic.  Sorry to dissapoint you,
> but most open source software using libtool does not originate from
> the Windows environment. :-)

Of course not.

> If you rely on a feature which only takes effect under Windows, then
> packages will neglect to enable or test that feature, resulting in
> packages which do not build properly (or misbehave) under Windows.

Sorry, how is this different from the current situation? This is just
another Win32 oddness that needs to be worked around.

> You can make the assumption that all libtool users will use it from
> packages using Autoconf and Automake so you can rely on a libtool
> command line passed via those tools, but this is not necessarily the
> case.  I am aware of a number of significant packages which use
> libtool but don't use Automake at all.

I could be wrong, but I think my solution would work just fine with
autoconf+libtool (without automake).

Does anyone use libtool without autoconf? Even if they do, then libtool can
just fall back to ../bin (or even put the DLLs alongside the implibs).

Max.