Re: Proposed libtool patch for MinGW

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Proposed libtool patch for MinGW
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 18:01:51 -0500 (CDT)

A modified version of this patch is now in libtool CVS.  The best way
to verify that it works is to try libtool CVS for your packages under
MinGW and Cygwin (one Cygwin part was modified so the implementation
could be shared).

Note that installing DLLs into $(libdir)/../bin seems to be a bit of a
problem when installing loadable modules.  If $(libdir)/../bin doesn't
exist, then the module is installed in the location expected by a
module loader which directly opens the DLL, but if it does exist, then
the DLL is installed somewhere other than expected.  This problem is
not MinGW specific.  It shouldn't be a run-time problem when using
libltdl to open the .la file because libltdl should handle everything.

Bob

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> The attached patch to FSF CVS libtool is intended to make libtool
> (mostly) behave as it does for Cygwin when executed with MinGW.  It
> consists of contributions from Elizabeth Barham, and my own efforts.
>
> The DLLs are installed to $(libdir)/../bin as they currently are under
> Cygwin. Any change to this scheme should be common to both Cygwin &
> MinGW unless there is a reason for behaving differently.
>
> This patch allows a shared library build of ImageMagick (using both C
> & C++) to successfully build and install under MinGW using the MSYS
> shell environment.  I have not tried to build libtool modules with it
> yet (should be interesting).
>
> I am posting this patch with the expectation that concerned parties
> will inspect it, test it, and send any fixes so that it can be
> incorporated in libtool 1.5.
>
> Bob
> Bob Friesenhahn
> address@hidden