Re: About win32 impgen.c patch

From: Elizabeth Barham
Subject: Re: About win32 impgen.c patch
Date: 22 Oct 2002 21:26:41 -0500

Robert, Naofumi,

   One of the things I am curious about is whether or not impgen.c is
going to be used very often in the future. I had been of the notion
that the latest set of patches more or less did away with the use of
that particular piece of code, although the code for impgen.c itself
has not been removed.

   From what I understand, the newer gcc (and/or gnu ld) on win32 uses
an "auto import" feature, and the old way of importing symbols (via
compiling impgen.c) is no longer needed, although there was some
platform that still uses the older method (pc32 or something like
that; right under mingw in the C compiler case/select).

   I personally would like to see impgen.c done away with altogether
eventually if possible, because it seems out of place - compiling a
bit of code to pull symbols out of a library. When cross-compiling,
this makes the job a little more difficult (difficult in the sense
that one must be a little more knowledgeable about what is happening
during the build [read: set HOST_CC to the native {build} compiler]).

   If Bob is out there, Bob, when you build IM on MSYS using your
latest set of mingw-specific patches, is it using impgen.c any longer?

Regards, Elizabeth