Re: library relocation

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Re: library relocation
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 11:22:29 -0500

I think the DESTDIR patch for ltmain.sh fixes that. At least it did for me. I had the problem that relinking was failing with "make prefix=/blah install" so I retooled with DESTDIR and with this patch everything seems OK. I found this through a bugs page for libtool, but I can't find that page now.

But I do still have the patch address:

http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/bug-libtool/2002-February/003019.html

Frederic Gobry wrote:
Hello,

I'm working on linux based embedded platforms. To build a complete
platform, we usually compile and install our software packages in a
directory that is specific to each developer, say:

          /home/fred/frozen/usr/lib/...

Then, the compiled libraries and executables that must be actually
available on the final platform are manipulated so that they finally
appear in

       /usr/lib/...

...when the platform has booted.

Here comes the problem:
  - Scenario 1: a library (let say glib) is configured with the final
    prefix (/usr) and installed for instance with a make install
    DESTDIR=/home/fred/....
Then, a program that uses the library will link with sth like

          -L/home/fred/frozen/lib -lglib
Unfortunately, libtool (1.4.2a) will transform this into...

            /usr/lib/libglib.so

    Grr. This is not a library compiled for the same architecture.

  - Scenario 2: the library is directly configured to get installed in
    /home/fred/...

    Then, the linking will be performed correctly, but a wrong rpath
    will be added in the executable...

Do you know a better method ?
Thank,

Frédéric